History

 

Thank you for visiting the website of Riverside Methodist Church Blairgowrie..

In February 1885 the community of Blairgowrie and Rattray discovered that a prominent local resident, David Borrie had left most of his fortune to the building of a Methodist Church in the town.  This was surprising as all his life Mr Borrie had been involved with the Established Church of Scotland, then the Free Church, of which he was an elder, and had attended communion there a few days before his death.  As a consequence of this bequest, the Wesleyan Methodist Conference appointed a minister, Rev. Edward Brailsford, and after two years of meeting in the Mechanics’ Institute, with open air services occasionally in the Wellmeadow, the present church was opened in August 1887. 

 

In October 1915 a party of soldiers pulled up outside the church and a tea was provided for them by members of the church; thus the seeds of the ‘Soldiers Club’were sown.  The hall was provided with writing materials, table games, magazines and a piano.  It was reported that 500-600 men passed through the club each night.  In the ensuing two years, more than 200,000 light meals were served at less than 3d a meal.

 

From the 1920s, the church was the meeting place of a group called the Brotherhood, which met on Sunday afternoons with speakers and musical presentations. There is a war memorial on the left-hand side of the church, and a stained glass window which was placed in memory of Rev David Ingram who died whilst he was a minister of the church.  His grave, marked by an obelisk, is in Blairgowrie cemetery.  The communion table was given in memory of his son, Rev A RH Ingram who was a missionary in India and died at 25.

 

On the east wall of the church are paintings of David Borrie and his wife, a painting of John Wesley  is in the entrance vestibule, and pictures of the past ministers of our church are on the West wall. 

                     

 David Borrie and his Wife, Mary

 

 

 John Wesley

 

Past Ministers Of Riverside Methodist
 
A Close up of the ministers can be seen on our gallery page.
 
 
Memorial window for the Rev David Ingram
 
 

 

Memorial to the Rev Arthur Romilly Hall Ingram, second son of the Rev D Ingram. Click the picture to enlarge.

Plaque in memory of The Rev Joseph Mace 1942-1949

 
   Labour Corps Memorial Window
 

 

 

 

The Labour Corps memorial window was unveiled on Saturday 2nd December 1922, in honour of the men who gave their lives in the first world war.  Towards the end of 1977, exactly 55 years after it was first unveiled, it was vandalised and seriously damaged.  The minister and members of the church decided that a detailed history of the window should be produced, and although little information is known about it, it is known that in 1922 the sum of £800 was paid to the artist, Mr. R.A. Bell, R.A.  From early 1917 Blairgowrie was the headquarters  of the corps and during the two years following, more than 20,000 men passed through the headquarters.  The average number of men stationed in Blairgowrie was about 3000  to 4000.  The  Memorial Fund was started in 1919 by contributors of the Officers and men of the Labour Corps and over  1,300 of its ranks subscribed to it, eventually producing a memorial in the form of the stained glass window  which overlooks Boat Brae at the back of the church.  Among the emblems adorning the window are St George, for courage, St Paul for endurance, the patriarch Job for fortitude, and General Gordon for self-sacrifice. 

Getting British Business Online
Subpages (2): Memorial Window Organ
ą
Riverside Methodist Church,
26 Feb 2011, 07:44
ą
Riverside Methodist Church,
26 Feb 2011, 07:44
ą
Riverside Methodist Church,
26 Feb 2011, 07:44
ą
Riverside Methodist Church,
26 Feb 2011, 07:44
ą
Riverside Methodist Church,
26 Feb 2011, 07:44
Ċ
Riverside Methodist Church,
26 Mar 2011, 06:13
Comments